The main role of the accounts officer is to assist the company accountant (who is currently outsourced on a part time basis) for all the functions of the accounting department.
This role is ideally suited for a candidate who aspire to become the company account as he/she grows his/her qualifications and experience.
This is for a small start-up company and as such provides the opportunity for the potential candidate to experience all the functions in the accounting/finance department of a company and be part of the team who will implement all the internal processes and control and implementation of financial management and operational metrics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following is a non-exhaustive list of duties:
- Recording sales and purchase invoices.
- Receipting of purchases.
- Preparing payments and receipts.
- Generating customer statements.
- Follow up of customers for payments.
- Reconciling suppliers’ statements.
- Updating and maintaining the Fixed Assets register.
- Preparation of financial statements for small companies.
- To perform bank and trust accounts reconciliation.
- To follow up with debtors for recovery of overdue.
- Assisting the management team in any finance related activities.
- Preparing the management and statutory accounts of a group of companies.
- Assisting management in the preparation of budgets and forecasts.
- Setting up and maintaining financial reports in the accounting system.
- Filing of statutory returns with relevant regulating body.
- To prepare, present statistical data and key financial and operational metrics for management decision.
This role requires no direct supervisory responsibilities
Degree of Independence/Supervision
- Requires minimal supervisions on the job. Independently works under broad supervision and can manage one owns time efficiently.
- Follows good accounting practices and uses project/process management approach.
- Perform hierarchical escalation only in situation of exception.
- HSC with Accounting as a main subject.
- Partly ACCA qualified with the minimum Fundamentals level.
- At least 3 years’ working experience.
Qualifications and Experience
A lesser qualification may be accepted if this is compensated by suitable demonstrable real world experience. Candidates with degrees in Accounting, Finance and/or any other business related field subject to the candidate showing strong interest for the accounting field.
- Moderate to expert level in MS Office Suite (MS Excel).
- Experience in using QuickBooks and/or any other accounting package.
- An analytical mind and very numerical.
This role will be based in a fast paced, fact changing start-up type environment and as such requires an individual with exceptional skills in the following:
- Ambitious and outgoing personality
- Good team players
- Ability to deal with simultaneous tasks/projects
- Meticulous and detail oriented
- Committed to work as and when required beyond normal working hours
We are looking for exceptional individuals to be part of the company transformation team in an exciting fast paced start up culture. Skills and experience are required, appreciated and valued but personality and character, intelligence and integrity will be paramount considerations. High maintenance, humorless, introvert or self-important individuals will not succeed in this position and should not apply. You should already be a self-starter, quick learner and have a solid ability to work independently and get things done.
Full time permanent.