Reporting to the Credit Risk & Claim Manager, the Credit Risk Underwriter is responsible for undertaking risk assessments of businesses and any transactions, coordinating the execution of CGI policies, monitoring CGI’s exposures; and managing any claims and recoveries of CGI.
Description of Role
• Ensuring an effective credit limit service in terms of decision quality, turnaround time and communication toward customers
• Decides on credit limit requests consistently, within agreed response times
• Financial and sector risk analysis
• Builds a trustworthy relationship with customers to improve portfolio profitability
• Uses all available public information including Companies House documentation, business information services and company-provided detail to review and decide upon financial health
• Monitors risk exposure, trade sector evolution and action plans
• Regularly meeting customers
• Organizing telephone conferences to discuss credit applications and decisions
- Manage a profitable portfolio of business within the parameters agreed upon with the Credit Risk Manager, utilizing sound credit analysis techniques usually based on reports from adequate information providers
- Assess financial, political, managerial and technical risks on a range of credit limit applications
- Conduct buyer or insured visits or telephone interviews to obtain critical information for the monitoring of the buyer portfolio
- Monitor high risk buyers and solicit proprietary information for the database by establishing a connection and maintaining contacts with representatives through visits, telephone conversations and written correspondence. Utilizing all information available to establish a consistent grading of buyers within your authority and make detailed recommendations to the Manager when outside your authority (Delegation, Reinsurance)
- Ensure that procedures comply with CGI guidelines, and CGI’s delegation requirements
- Evaluate industry conditions and current exposures to recommend portfolio actions to increase or decrease aggregate coverage
- Review and recommend changes to CGI’s internal risk management policies and procedures, including reinsurance and claims processes
- Assist the Credit Risk Manager by making recommendations on the establishment of risk management strategies, the budget and related targets
- Assist the Credit Risk Manager to write reports to the Credit Risk Committee and the reinsurers
- Support the development of a high performing underwriting team to deliver results, including via mentoring of junior staff
- Contribute collaboratively in discussions and decision-making processes.
The position demands a strong combination of interpersonal, analytical, strategic and decision making skills.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration and Finance
- 2 years experience in a Risk Management related role or financial institution or minimum 1 year of proven experience in a financial institution
- Superior credit, analytical and financial skills (including ability to interpret financial statements, and expertise and experience in buyers assessment)
- Market knowledge of local economic environment, Expertise on a particular region and/or trade sectors
- Strong deal execution skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to communicate complex issues and concepts clearly, succinctly, and with influence
- Ability to quickly develop expertise in credit decisions and apply these to commercial and political risk analysis, as required, also capacity to have a critical attitude
- Excellent organisational, multi-tasking and project management skills including the ability to plan, prioritise, and delegate in a complex work environment
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a team environment, often under strict deadline pressures
- Proven ability to build and maintain relationship with a range of stakeholders, including the ability to understand different stakeholder’s motivations and the ability to influence and persuade.
Due to high volume of applications, only candidates with relevant experience or qualifications will be contacted.